Is a DIY remodel the best for your needs?
With the growth of YouTube and the home improvement channels, many people consider taking on a home remodeling project themselves. And for some projects, that may be a great idea. But for anyone who has made 6 trips to their hardware store on a Saturday trying to finish a project, a DIY remodel may not be the right answer.
The National Association of the Remodeling Industry recently published a quiz to help home owners determine if their project is a DIY project or should be left to the pros. Here are a few of the questions. See what you think:
1. Do you enjoy physical work?
2. Are you persistent and patient (and not tempted to throw a hammer if something goes wrong)?
3. Will you actually finish the project once you start?
4. Do you have the tools AND skill needed for the job?
5. Can you produce the quality of work that you want for your home?
6. Do you have the time to finish the project (multiply your estimate by 3 unless you’re a skilled professional who has experience with your specific project)?
7. Can you do the job by yourself or will you need help from someone else (hanging drywall, for example, is a difficult job for one)
8. Are you familiar with your local building codes and permit requirements?
9. Is it safe for you to do the project – some jobs can be fatal if done incorrectly, take electrical work for example?
If you answered yes to the majority of these questions, then DIY might be the perfect approach for you. If not, consider establishing a relationship with a reputable remodeling professional who understands your design aesthetic and will happily provide a contract for the services they will provide.
If you’re considering a home remodel, we’d love to talk with you.
Love where you live!